I opened the door to the "Michigan" room and was pleased with how spacious it was. Even the bathroom was huge.
The pool and spa were perfect.
The entire staff was extremely friendly, especially Max, Elaine, Jerry, Robert and Charles. The others were nice too, I just can't remember their names right now. If I asked for extra towels, they were immediately given to me with a smile. I never lacked for anything here. I felt right at home.
I would stay here again. Infact, I plan to very soon!
* Great place to spend a night if you are in the vicinity. Very roomy and comfortable rooms named after the states. Add to that a heart complimentary breakfast.
* I love this motel! The more we stay there the more we really, really appreciate the amenities. Trust me, I have stayed in some of the finest Hotels in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Edmonton, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc., (I was a Project Manager for Westin Hotels); I also stayed at some of the worst hotels and motels in the world (don’t get me started on the worst!), but when traveling thru the Central Coast of California, the Best Western PLUS Big America in Santa Maria is ideal for the location, environment and comfort. Let me try to explain:
1. Easy location by car (who doesn’t travel by car while in Santa Maria?);
2. The location is very quiet and away from the freeway;
3. There is plenty of parking in front, or close, to your unit;
4. There is a wind protected swimming pool area for the kids;
5. It has very large, very clean guest rooms; often with extra bath areas for the water closet, sinks (yes, many units have two separate sink units), free TV, lots of space to have your suitcases open or stored;
6. A great, common breakfast area with “fix-your-own waffles”, fresh juices, fruit, cereals (fresh cooked oatmeal), it’s great for kids, etc.;
7. What I love the most, free internet hookups (direct connection, a couple of wireless connections, etc.)
8. The main large lobby, with a piano and cat, has gazillion brochures on the local events, attractions and most important – wineries (Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, and the very famous Santa Ynez Valley) with very friendly and very knowledgeable and helpful staff;
9. and last, but not less - it is in a very competitive price range!
* If I was staying in New York, I would try (if I could afford it) stay at the New York Plaza; but in Santa Maria, with many very good restaurants in the community, I would not hesitate to stay at the Best Western PLUS Big America; it is the ideal professionally managed motel for its location, environment and for traveling,by car. When touring along the Central Coast of California this is the “place”.
* The King Room was very spacious, especially the bathroom area. The complimentary breakfast was quite adequate and presented nicely. The property was very quiet and we were able to rest very well. We have stayed at a number of Best Westerns and this is among the best so far.